September 23, 2021

Happy Birthday, CIP!


Today is the 10th anniversary of AIIM's Certified Information Professional (CIP) certification exam and program. On September 23, 2011, the CIP exam went live as the Information Certification and the first 50 or so CIPs who worked to develop the exam were grandfathered in. We don't number CIPs in this fashion, but I suppose Atle Skjekkeland, the architect and main creative force behind the certification, would be CIP #1, and I would be CIP #2 as the technical lead. 

The first CIP exam taken, and passed, happened the next day, September 24. As of my departure from AIIM, nearly 2,000 people since then have passed the exam and earned the designation. I don't know what the future holds for CIP, but I know we did some really good work in putting the exam together in 2011 and for the updates in 2016 and 2019. I am grateful to everyone who supported CIP during my tenure at AIIM and I hold the development and maintenance of CIP as one of my personal career highlights. 

No comments: