February 15, 2022

The New AIIM Exam-Based CIP Renewal Process - Take One

Update 3/2: Today is exactly 90 days out from my accurate expiration date. No email about retaking the exam yet.

While it's not stated in so many words, one of the reasons AIIM gave for turning CIP into a certificate program was to make it easier on candidates; I think it's safe to presume that AIIM wants to make it easier on their staff as well. So I decided to compare the old and new processes. 

Pre-Feb 10, 2022

Under the old, CEU-based way of renewing, CIPs had to track their renewal dates and CEUs, AIIM and non-AIIM. They could submit these at any time through a web form, and AIIM would also accept them via email if needed. At some point during the renewal period they'd have to pay the fee of $135 for members and $150 for non-members; there was a link provided to the payment page. 

As of the last couple of years, the default was the non-member fee, and CIPs would have to ask, and know to ask, AIIM for the discount renewal code. In other words, if you didn't know to do that, you were overpaying to the tune of $15 every 3 years. 

The internal AIIM method of tracking CEUs was...well, let's say sub-optimal. This despite at least 3 grabs at the brass ring of having the learning management system track things more or less automatically. So if you weren't tracking your own CEUs, you might have to reach out to ask AIIM for your status. 

The New Process Effective Feb 10, 2022

For the new renewal process, you have to take the exam again(!). The standard price of the exam is $299. However, if you want the discounted renewal fee, member or otherwise, you have to wait until AIIM decides you're close enough to renewal to send you a link. I confirmed this today with AIIM staff; no idea what plans if any they have for someone who had previously expired, who misses the email, or whose renewal date is incorrect. 

Aside: In trying to take the exam and put it through its paces, I went looking for a link or way to get the renewal rate. After several emails exchanged with AIIM staff, we ended up at, "You’ll have to wait for the recertification email that you’ll receive closer to your renewal date."

AIIM further indicated that their records showed my renewal date as September 2023, meaning I wouldn't get the link for at least another year. The problem is that I last renewed by taking the beta exam in 2019, so my expiration date is May 30, 2022. I have no idea where the 9/2023 date came from. If I look up my transcript in the old learning management system (aiim.org > Education > My Courses), my CIP badge shows a certification date of June 22, 2021, and an expiration date of June 21, 2024, which is actually the date the data was migrated into it. And in the transcript, my CIP status is listed twice, once with a renewal date of May 30, 2022, but no certificate, and once with a renewal date of November 29, 2021 and a certificate. In other words, AIIM has 4 separate renewal dates for me, including one that's expired. 

So anyone who is counting on AIIM to have accurate records, you might want to check your date(s)....

No comments: