June 1, 2022

AIIM CIP CEUs Update

Update 6/7: I've rewritten this entire post due to a number of updates and actions that AIIM has taken since the original was published. 

mentioned in a recent post that AIIM had provided an update to the CIP program. The email closed with this note: 

"Thank you for your patience and your understanding as we modernize and grow the CIP program. You will shortly receive a personal status update with a requalification timeline."

I received that updated email and it does show my correct renewal date of 5/4/2025. There are some issues that AIIM is still working through with regards to the CEU visibility and inclusion in the email, but as they clarified viia email and in the AIIM Community, 

"We most certainly are able to track your CEUs from our systems -- even the legacy ones. All conferences you have attended with AIIM, all courses in the legacy learning management system and within AIIM+ Pro, AIIM webinars and virtual events, and downloaded ebooks. These are all trackable by AIIM, and we are working to update all these totals into one system."

As you would expect, non-AIIM CEUs need to be submitted manually - this form https://gzclelland.wufoo.com/forms/cip-certification-maintenance-form/ and process have not changed, but the form does need to use the email address at which this email was received. If changes are required, CIPs should reach out to AIIM at hello@aiim.org to make them. 

If you haven't accessed AIIM+ Pro yet, it consists of 30 courses as of today, June 7, 2022, mostly taken from the legacy content but given a massive makeover to be much more engaging and valuable. I've been critical of AIIM for a lot of things since I left, but this is one I think they've gotten substantially right. In additional to the individual courses, AIIM has created a number of learning paths that gather anywhere from 3 - 12 related courses together into, e.g., "Capturing and Sharing Documents" or "Modern Records Management." 

The courses show a timing of anywhere from 20 - 60 minutes, but this is only an approximation of the actual video run time. Students should expect to take up to 2-3x the time shown to complete a module if they do the exercises and activities included. 

The CIP study guide is also there, and broken into 11 easier to consume chunks of content. This is also where you would access the currently still unproctored CIP exam - note that you do NOT need an AIIM+ Pro subscription to access it. 

Remaining concerns with AIIM+ Pro as a mechanism for doing and tracking CEUs: 

  • There are still 4 "modules" that are 2-minute intros to the first 4 CIP domains that are being awarded 1 CEU each. This should be changed as with the removing of CEUs from some of the other non-learning, administrative assets. 
  • I hadn't been keeping careful track of their course release cadence, but the M365 Governance with Exchange course was the first one released in nearly 2 months (my previous latest completion date was for April 4, 2022). I'll see when the next one is, but 9 months or so from start to launch means they need about a dozen courses underway right now and I'm not seeing any indication of that. 
  • There's still nothing to show your active CIP status and renewal date. The email I received is helpful; I suspect many people won't be able to locate and may miss their next renewal date without its being shown someplace. I'd also note that it's nowhere else either - not in your Community profile, for example. 
  • There's still no way to see an accurate count of your CEUs. I'd expect to see everything they listed above - all AIIM-sponsored content - as well as anything submitted by CIPs, and that deduped of AIIM content. In other words, if I submit 40 CEUs but 10 of them are AIIM22, the tracking should be smart enough to only count it once. At a minimum AIIM needs to reinforce that they are tracking everything they produce or provide. 

And of course my ongoing concerns: 

  • The exam is compromised by dint of being unproctored for nearly 4 months and needs to be developed from scratch. AIIM cannot simply turn on proctoring for this exam if they see any value in it whatsoever. I will be taking the new proctored exam again as soon as it goes live and will compare it with the one I saved (because it was unproctored and therefore compromised). 
  • AIIM still has not done any marketing for CIP despite my calling them out on it in nearly every blog post I've written this year. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I received the same email. I requested if there were any updates to the Allowable CEUs and got sent the link that in my version only shows the input page and nothing else. The link to the CIP page doesn’t show it either. So I am forced to use an old form for allowable CEUs.