March 24, 2022

AIIM Removes Access to Old Learning Management System, Transcripts

Update 4/5: Some time this week, AIIM also did something that broke the link. Instead of seeing the message below, the link simply returns an error, "This site can't be reached." Again, no direct communication of this nor, now, any direction as to how to get your transcript - I'd have expected something on the AIIM+ Pro landing page, but no. I also find it odd that the link is still present in the navigation, i.e. Education > My Courses. 

Some time this year, AIIM finally removed access to their old learning management system (LMS). I attempted to access it yesterday to look something up, and the login page has been updated to feature a new message, "AIIM has reimagined our learning delivery and access to this site ceased as of January 22, 2022." I don't know when this access changed, but I am 99+% certain that I accessed it this month - this is the first I'm seeing it and I'm writing about it immediately because of the issues it presents. 

Aside - I find it fascinating that this change was supposedly made more than two months ago, yet the link remains on the AIIM website. Go to https://www.aiim.org, then select Education and then My Courses and you'll be brought to https://learning.aiim.org/login/index.php, with that verbiage. It further notes that "Any questions, or need a transcript of your learning please drop us an email at hello@aiim.org".

None of this is entirely unexpected - AIIM moved to a new LMS with the launch of AIIM+ Pro late last year. What concerns me is that, yet again, AIIM provided zero communication of this change. It's not posted on the AIIM+ Pro page. It wasn't emailed out. AIIM didn't even tweet about it. 

Why does this matter? Because the old LMS was where your CIP certificate was. It is where your other certificates and dates were. For some CIPs, it was where your CEUs were listed, though likely inaccurately because the upload was a manual upload and a snapshot in time sometime early in 2021. If you didn't already download them, you no longer have access to them. And because AIIM didn't make any announcement about this before it happened, you may not have. 

Now, as noted above and on the old LMS login page, you can send an email to hello@aiim.org to request a transcript. I had gone through this process in February and received the image at the end of this post embedded into an email. I did it again today to make sure I was following the process, and the transcript was text copied into the body of the message, and included a few more fields as well. Since the email came from an aiim.org domain, maybe someone would accept it as proof of learning? 

I also wonder whether AIIM can get to the certificates at all, and if so, how willing they will be to go through whatever the process requires to get them and email them to individual students. I requested my CIP certificate, and that was provided; when I asked about the others, the response was, "As you know we’ve always asked customers to download their certificates for their records." I don't have any of my old award emails so I don't know what they say/said. The current LMS does send out an email saying that "Your certificate is ready for download", but I wouldn't say that that is equivalent. But this response suggests that they can't, and I wonder whether my CIP certificate was actually generated upon receipt of my request. 

More importantly, how is it OK in 2022 for the "Association for Intelligent Information Management" to require an email query, and presumably a manual, staff-generated response, for what was previously available to individual students via a self-service portal? This feels like yet another step backwards. 

Here's my "transcript" from the old AIIM LMS. Some things were assigned CEUs in the LMS, most weren't, so the accuracy here is more in the course names, dates, and "Passed". 



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for putting this out for awareness. I did not get any warning of the pending change. If I had, I would have downloaded my transcript and certificate.
Now for my soapbox:
This is an example of what I find most frustrating about AIIM. They send out a lot of communications advertising webinars and conferences, but I see very little concern for individual members. This is why I am been less involved with AIIM activities. I am sure others have had a different/better experience, but I have been disappointed with the association.
Keep fighting the good fight Jesse! I appreciate your passion for excellence.