November 22, 2021

How Are You Preparing for 2022?

Technically, not even a full 6 weeks left - between the holiday season and December 31, 2021 coming on a Friday. But I've seen a couple of posts today to the effect that there are only 6 weeks left, so it's time to get ready for 2022. Some of these suggested you prepare by buying their stuff: their software, their training, etc. Others suggested that you reflect on the last year, or two, and think about what you want in what will hopefully be the year we really turn the corner on COVID. 

I'm somewhat heads-down on a project right now - not full-time full time, but keeping me busy. But I'm thinking about that same question: how do I want to prepare for 2022? Here are my thoughts, in no particular order. 

1. I have a stack of books to get through - change management, management consulting, several Infonomics-y books, and some product launch/product management ones as well. I'm going to try real hard not to buy any MORE books until I get through this pile!

2. I'm trying to write more and establish a more predictable cadence. I also plan to do at least one series of posts that will then become the fodder for an e-book, most likely on email management. 

3. The value of my AIIM and ARMA memberships continue to decrease - neither association offers educational content for anyone with significant experience in the industry. And the member-only events and resources are increasingly written/delivered by vendors who don't understand that it's not a question of educational content or sales, but that educational content leads to sales. So I need to figure out, or perhaps create/curate, something that would be of value to me and others similarly situated. 

For the other associations I'm a member of - IRMS, IAPP, ICRM - I need to do a deeper dive into the resources available from IRMS and IAPP. ICRM is of a piece with AIIM and ARMA right now - they relaunched their newsletter as a bimonthly and haven't sent out anything since August. Sigh. 

4. Along those same lines, trying to repopulate my blogroll / reading list. So looking for recommendations for good blogs and resources that aren't necessarily tied to a particular association. Vendor stuff is OK, if it's educational - some very, very good vendor blogs out there. 

5. Trying to get back into the exercise thing. It's a vicious circle - health issues make it hard to exercise, which leads to more health issues. But I gotta do it - 2022 will definitely be a "focus on health" year. 

6. Last but absolutely assuredly not least, I'll be spending some quality time and money on some marketing for Athro Consulting. Lots of small things to get done: Get or make business cards. Make stationery and templates (Word, PPT, invoices, etc.). Get some branded swag done for the in-person events I plan to attend in Q1. 

Back to the title, then - how are YOU preparing for 2022? 


No comments: